Repair Microsoft Access Database File
Microsoft Access is one of the useful utility and users use this application for maintaining several database information. This is another application of Microsoft’s which is very effective and at the same time user friendly. This is easy to access and it has a relational MS Jet Database engine along with development tools that runs on the back and has an easy to grasp user interface at the front. It is very easy to use and therefore it becomes a preferred choice for many corporates. But sometimes the database becomes corrupt and this can be a serious threat for the data present on it. Corruption can come to any database and MS Access is not far from it. When it becomes corrupt then it is important to repair the database and also should know the reasons behind the corruption.
Reasons for Access Database Corruption
When the access database’s binary file format experience an error then the database becomes corrupt. At this situation user may come across several errors and also face issue in using the database. It is good that Access database has Jet Database Engine which automatically fixes minor issues that pop-ups in the database after some time at the time of reading and writing of data. Because of this there will never be even a doubt that something wrong have happened. This situation is both good and bad, good in the sense that work is not interrupted and bad because if the corruption is not solved on time then it have a bad impact on the database. So it is very important to understand every part of access database.
Well some of the corruption issues are:
- Virus infection can be one of the common reasons for database corruption as it spreads to the database and after that corrupt the entire data
- Some edits in memo fields also can lead to access database corruption. The problem occurs with a VBA module and not pose a risk of data loss.
- Some hardware failures like packets on network cards and due to bad sectors on hard drives also lead to database corruption.
- Interrupted change to data due to network service loss can cause Access database corruption. However some file can be repaired but some data may be erased after the repair is complete.
- Due to few bugs in Access and Jet software can be sometimes cause of corruption
- Improperly installed or designed third party plug-ins for Access can lead to corruption of database.
- When any activity is being performed on the database and improper shutdown happens in the system then also it can lead to database corruption.
- If the Jet service packs are different for multiple users of the same database and when updates installed then little difference in mdb file format can causes corruption in Access database.
Repairing Access database and recovering data
Generally it has been seen that when the database shows error or problem then at that time the only solution seems is sending database to access Repair Company or call its expert. But we never realize that if the case is minor then it can be repaired by ourselves. Well for that some of the manual methods are mentioned which can help to identify the database corruption:
- With the help of backup, you can restore the lost data and backups are essential at this time
- The Jet database engine auto create an .ldb file when the database is opened on it needs to be erased.
- Use of Jet Compact Utility can be helpful to identify the minor corruption in Access database
- Delete all the compiled VBA code from the database and this can be done by following the command line:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MsAccess.exe /decompile C:\DatabasePath\FileName.mdb
Note: When you install MS Access to different location then you need to change the path shown in the above for MsAccess.exe.
5. Can use the built-in Access 2010 ‘Compact & Repair’ feature. To fix the Access database corruption, follow the steps:
- First open MS Access (not the database file) and then go to Database Tools -> Compact & Repair Database.
- Then locate the damaged database file and hit on Ok.
- However the selected database file will be corrected on completion of the process
6. Now import the corrupt database into new Access 2010 database by following the below mentioned steps:
- First open MS Access and then create a new database file.
- Now hit on Access to Import Access database under the External Data tab.
- Note that in the next window which pops-up, hit on Browse and then detect the database file while is to be imported.
- Here identify the place along with technique to collect the data in the new database and then hit on Ok.
- Now from the next window select those database objects which you want to import and then click on Ok.
Even after following all the above steps. If the corruption does not solves then it is recommended to use third party tool which can help you to repair the corruption of Access database.
Automatic Way to Repair MS Access Database corruption:
Use of third party tool like MS Access Database Repair will help you to fix the corruption. This is a powerful tool which comes with powerful algorithm and has an advanced scanning option. It easily operate and restores the damage or corrupt queries, indexes, tables along with other data. With the help of this software, any type of database error and problems whether it is minor or major can be easily repaired. It works on almost all versions of windows operating system like Windows XP/2003/7/8/Vista.